Drowning The Lie


Mike Hastie, former US army medic in Vietnam, penned the lines that follow.
A friend once told me, 'to add is often to subtract' - so no commentary of mine need follow this poem:

Someday,

when this war is over,

I’m going to drown every toy soldier

I ever owned.

My mother still keeps that shit in the attic.

What a fool that kid inside of me was.

I was lied to from day one.

Something tells me,

that if my mom ever found out,

she would probably give me a medal.



Mike Hastie
U.S. Army Medic
Vietnam 1970-71

Comments

Anonymous said…
Damien,

Hope I'm not subtracting here. But thank you for this. Right on.

And I am sorry for all that my government is doing, and has been doing, and has been doing, in the war department. Impervious to the protests of its citizens.

Some "culture of life," hunh?

From a Polskie-Irish American at the Nonviolent Choice Directory
Damien Moran said…
Shit. I hate blogger. I just lost the comment I had written (I guess my own fault for doing a technically risky operation by signing out of someone else's google a/c before saving the comment I had written).

Anyhow, agreed your government sucks - but it is not just the Polish government, nor governments worldwide. The Corpo-State structure and the military industrial complex kills so many social projects that would benefit citizens.

Look at the US - $2 trillion spent on the Iraq war. Joseph Stiglitz, former Nobel Prize winner in Economics has recently been testifying before Congress committees about the true cost of the war for ordinary American citizens suffering from an over- privatised, expensive and discriminatory healthcare system not to mention all the cuts in social spending the Republican administration have brought about.

Obama or Clinton? Same shit, different smell. Their hands are tied by more powerful forces at play, as is the case on all corridors of power.

So why do we keep voting these assholes into power?

Popular Posts