Homeland Security in Chicago deport me for activism against Iraq war


As well as a a ploughshares acquittal to my name I now have the privilege of being sent packing on a one-way flight from Chicago airport to Warsaw just 5 hours after I had landed.

I was immediately detained and questioned by Homeland Security officers about our Pitstop Ploughshares action at Shannon in February 2003 (www.warontrial.com), why I was arrested, why our group 'sabotaged' U.S. military property.

I informed them about our action and acquittal with pleasure. They were none too pleased.

When the gung-ho Officer Bock shouted out that deportation was the least of my problems I decided there was no point of pushing his buttons too far. I made my anti-war statement, explaining that I was en route to visit my brother in Virginia, then planned going to Colorado Springs and Nebraska to speak at anti-militarism conferences/panels and demonstrations.

I've been travelling and waiting in airports non-stop for the past 30 hours so now it's time to hit the hay. I will write a more extensive report tomorrow.

Unfortunately I've lost $350 dollars in flight expenses while the Global Network (www.space4peace.org) Against Weapons in Space that invited me have been setback over $1,000. If anyone has spare change to donate and help with costs (will be dedicated to anti-militarist/missile defence/direct action purposes) please let me know.

Comments

Anonymous said…
There are those of us, Americans abroad, who no longer recognize the country we were born into! It is a sad commentary, on a mature democracy, when more money is spent on "securing the homeland", aka border control, than on health care for the needy, help for the home less, or, providing a welcome mat for intelligent tourists, such as yourself!

You should take heart on one inescapable reality, however, as an Irish citizen: the United States crackdown on visitors, and immigrants alike, has much less to do with matters of national security, and, alas, much more to do with the world's imminent energy crisis! After all, why provide a welcome, and opportunities to those from abroad, if you're the industry and political leaders of a Nation completely unprepared, financially, to care for your aging population, care for the homeless, or secure cheap and renewable energy supply for your residential and economic needs!
Shaunj said…
Hey. I feel sorry for you but expect nothing less from these cretins. On a trip to texas>mexico>texas last November with my Polish girlfriend, on each entry to the US we were subjected to relentless questioning in an unnecessarily intimating fashion. These ba@tards don't need an excuse to make you feel like a criminal. I vowed never to return.

As you were freed on all counts, it seems homeland security have undermined the integrity of the irish judicial system. The only law they know is their own.
Damien Moran said…
They also don't give a fuck about their own laws and have usurped the Const. Bill of Rights post 9/11. That is why there is an ever-increasing American self-hate (in this sense of what the U.S. represents, etc.).

I guess they thought your girlfriend had a tonne of coke in her belly and that you were a pimp. At least you are lucky you didn't meet Arnie's paramilitary friends who are roaming the borders. Did you see any sign of the fence being constructed?

I found the Israelis far more intimidating. There, I really felt that they would rather I shoved my money up my hole and went back to Offaly's boglands.

Fair enough I suppose, seen as I was mixing with Israelis who don't their government's bullshit and I spent time volunteering in Palestine - hence the border police questions: 'What Arabs do you know?' and 'We know you met with Arabs?'

It's like asking a tourist in Disneyland whether he/she saw Goofy, Mickey and Minnie.

Who else are ya going to see in Arabia?

I was in Texas in '94 for my brother's wedding. A mighty strange fuckin place if my memory serves me well. Frankly, I couldn't give two shites about being kicked out of the US. But unfortunately I may not get to see my brother and his family for a long time.

Anyhow, enough about the US.

How is life in Poland. U here long?
Shaunj said…
Enough about the US indeed. And texas...well it's like something out of a David Lynch movie. We gasped a sigh of relief upon entering Mexico.

Funny you should say about the arab q. First time i went to the US- Aug 1997-I had been in Tunisia (yes Tunisia) the summer before. They almost didn't let me on the flight asking who I knew there, why had I gone and did I keep in contact with anyone. I was perplexed but if I only knew how worse it would get.


A famous historical figure said this but it's so ironic in todays climate. Where have I heard that before I asked myself.

"Naturally the common people don't want war. But after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along.. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."

Herman Goering



Been in Poland close on two years now. Enjoying it here, and the good weather particularly. :D
Damien Moran said…
Czy mowisz po polsku? Jaka koszmar, no? Ja zrobilem kurs podstawowy 3 lata temu w Dublinie i od kiedy przyjechalem do Warszawa 2 lata temu juz skonczylem jeszcze 4 kursy. Ale nadal moj poziom jest podstawowy!

Popular Posts